Wednesday, September 8, 2010

PNE

On Sunday I went to a Vancouver summertime favorite... the PNE! This is a food-lovers dream, as long as you're not on a diet. It was the 100th anniversary of the PNE and it seems that each year the number of food vendors grows. This year not only had ample vendors but a variety of choices. From mexican to indian, japanese, western and seemingly everything in between there was plenty to choose from. Of course there was no shortage of snackfood as well. I took it upon myself to have the usual; elephant ears, kettle corn, cotton candy, corn dogs and everyone's favorite... mini-donuts! After I recovered from that, I had a BBQ Pulled Pork sandwich from Barnacle Bill's (a long-time PNE vendor). I do have to say that I was a little disappointed with the sandwich. It's usually tender with a nice smoky flavor and a liberal amount of BBQ sauce however this time it lacked flavor and was a little sloppy.

Those of you who attended this year may have heard some people talking about a new offering... Deepfried Butter! Yes... Deepfried Butter! While I'm sure many of you are interested in what that was like, I decided to go for something more exciting... Deepfried Mars Bar. I'm not sure what I expected but I was pleasantly surprised. As you can see in the picture, they stick a skewer through the bar, dip it in batter and deepfry it. The closest thing I can relate it to would be a s'more. It was pretty good, but it's one of those things you try once just to say you did. Maybe next year I'll convince someone to try the Deepfried Butter with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment